Thursday, August 15, 2013

Regency BuckRegency Buck by Georgette Heyer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I recently re-read this book and loved it more than i remembered hence came to goodreads to put in a review and I was shocked to see all the other reviews that spoke at length about how much they hated Lord Worth. I kept wanting to jump in with 'But he didn't's and 'But he wasn't's so here is a review of my own.

In defence of Lord Worth
  • He lived 200 years ago! Let us make some allowance for the difference in manners and mores. Even Lord Peter Wimsey (who must surely be granted undisputed heartthrob status) behaved in a forward manner with the wives of his tenants - or nearly did anyway. There was a portion in Clouds of Witness that says as much. So while the Earl was definitely out of line during the whole 'Clorinda' episode, let us cut him some slack and look the other way for now, shall we?
  • Since I was re-reading the book and knew all along who the bad guy was, I was able to appreciate his restraint, his efforts in looking out for his wards,and his wisdom in pushing through unpopular decisions when they were for the ultimate good. The choice of house in Brighton, the chosen chaperone, the hiring of servants all must have taken thought and effort for Worth for which he was not appreciated.
  • He did not berate her for nearly being molested by the Prince Regent. He got her out of an ugly situation with gentleness and understanding combined with enough social sense to prevent her name being dragged into a scandal. That is the one thing I love about Heyer. How she dexterously rescues her characters from unpleasant situations without making a scene. Look at how she handled the abduction in The Black Moth! Really, i re-read this scene. Nowhere was he less than concerned and kind towards her without making his deeper feelings obvious (that would have been highly mistimed)
  • Am starting to run out of steam a bit now, but regarding the whole bit about being patronizing in not telling Judith the whole, would she have believed him? With all her prejudice against him, i think not.
But having got the prejudice bit in - did anyone else think this book was kind of a pride and prejudice lite? She even throws in some Jane Austen references! I kept being reminded of that book which is one of my favorites!

While regency buck is certainly no timeless classic, it worked for me as a rom-com in a book with a reasonably interesting mystery thrown in. What's not to like? Oh and I rest my case!

View all my reviews

No comments: